Field Trip 1: Lake Tahoe Geology
Date/Time: Sunday, August 28, 2022 - 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
Track: Field Trip
Room: Meet in Tuscany Foyer
Log in to Add to My Schedule
Explore the unique geology of Lake Tahoe!
- Stop 1a: Lake Tahoe Dam and Fanny Bridge. Introduction to Lake Tahoe
- Stop 1b: Commons Beach. Introduction to young volcanism at Lake Tahoe
- Stop 2: Skylandia Beach. Volcanic vent and surge deposit features
- Stop 3: Tamarack Lodge or Rocky Ridge. Lava delta, pillow basalts, and columnar basalt.
- Stop 4: Eagle Rock (shown in photo above). Volcanic vent with diatreme.
- Possible Stop 5, depending on time: Emerald Bay overlook.
Field trip leader: Dr. Winnie Kortemeier
Separate registration is required. Cost is $225 per person and includes transportation and meals.